1.8.07

The Return

We left our driveway listening to endless chatter from the kids.... How much fun we were going to have, the pools, the ocean, seashells, dolphins and white sand beaches to fill our days. Five hours of driving brought us to our brand new resort chock full of amenities. Colorfully and cleaverly designed and extremely family friendly.
The kids were in heaven the moment we arrived. I shuttered in horror when the realization how unhandicapped accessible the facilty acutally was. The toilets too low in the condo, shower too narrow to get my wheelchair/ walker in, no wheelchair ramp onto the beach.......
The bed too high, the doorway into the masterbath too narrow for my walker to fit through.
I slept on the couch and every time I needed to use the restroom, Rodney had to assist. Frustration inside the condo walls was as endless as the sand below the balcony. I purposefully didn't eat or drink much to keep the jaunts to the bathroom to a minimum. After two quite painful body slams to the tile floor in the bathroom, I remained in my manual wheelchair except for sitting on the toilet or lying on the couch. Sponge baths from a tired husband was less than thrilling or fulfilling. Dutifully, he washed me, while I closed my eyes and vacated my body.
A new level of weakness has begun its invasion.
The beautiful part in all of this...... My kids had the best time ever!!!!!!
Once the three of us left the confinements of our condo, bliss started. A waterpark, hottub, 3 pools and a lazy river with a Bar and Grill over looking the beach was spectacular. I took them to the pools each day, excpect for Wednesday when we went to a Marine venue. I read a Jackie Collins trash novel and drank a few adult beverages while watching my children enjoy being kids.
No way for me to get into the pools either. Sucked. But, the purpose was for the kids to have one last vacation with me that was stellar!
It was hard and rewarding, my emotions were high and Rodney's inability to deal with my decline kept him isolated from us. He took them down the stairs to the beach twice. They loved it. Jocelyn is planning on making seashell sculptures with her findings.
I did my best to remain calm, and for the most part achieved it. Watching the kids frolick brought me much needed joy. I love them so much and it is with great pain I say this was our last vacation.
Next post ...... The outline to the end.
Blessings & Light
T